Category: Video Series
Cannabidiol and Medical Marijuana | Pediatric Grand Rounds - Mattel Children's Hospital UCLA
Shaun Hussain, MD, reviews evidence supporting and opposing the use of cannabidiol and medical marijuana in the treatment of pediatric epilepsy. Premiere Date: 10/30/2015; minutes, seconds Learn more at https://uclahealth.org/Mattel
If you are a soccer fan, you may associate dabbing with an idiotic celebration of doing the rounds. As it happens, ‘dabbing’ is also the term used to describe the consumption of extremely potent CBD. Companies such as CBDistillery sell CBD concentrates in wax, shatter, butter, or powder form. They are usually 99% pure which makes them a lot more effective, and expensive, than CBD oils and edibles.
While dabbing is also performed with THC products, this comprehensive guide tells you more about the types of CBD concentrates on the market, the creation of concentrates, the right dabbing tools to use, and also helpful information on the correct dabbing technique.
The entire dabbing process will seem alien to you at first, but you’ll soon get used to it. It is technically classified as “the flash vaporization” of CBD concentrates when it is applied to a hot surface and then inhaled. You ‘dab’ using concentrates which are a lot more potent than the CBD you get from oils and edibles.
It is normal for a CBD isolate to contain 99% of the cannabinoid, and while it is expensive, users swear by its impact. To be honest, we wouldn’t recommend dabbing to CBD newcomers, though – you will get so used to the rapid relief that you won’t accept CBD oils or edibles ever again!
Types of Concentrates on the Market
While there are various types of concentrates available, high-quality versions all contain huge doses of CBD.
- Wax: While this concentrate has a relatively firm texture, it breaks easily.
- Butter: This substance is soft and easy to manipulate.
- Shatter: This is a brittle option which ‘shatters’ easily as per the name. The best quality shatter tends to be golden yellow. Shatter with a darker color tends to have a lot of impurities. It is typically the most potent option.
- Crystalline: This is a fancy term for powder. Its main advantage is that it is easy to work with as an ingredient.
How is CBD Concentrate Made?
While we can’t speak for every product on the market, we can tell you how CBD concentrate should be made. The best products are extracted from non-GMO hemp via supercritical CO2 extraction. The concentrate that is produced should include the cannabinoids, fatty acids and other plant materials naturally found in hemp.
The next step involves purifying the CBD hemp oil using a proprietary process for removing excess waxes and plant materials. The result is a 99% pure CBD isolate in one of the forms mentioned above. Reputable companies will include third-party lab testing results on their websites, and the top firms have isolate that is between 99.7% and 99.9% pure. They also utilize ISO/IEC 17025:2005 accredited testing labs, which results in CBD that is free from toxins, heavy metals, mildew, mold, fungus and other impurities.
CBD Dabs – An Introduction to concentrates
We’ll cover how they are made, the different types, and the difference between THC dabs and CBD dabs. The main difference being the content of cannabinoids CBD and THC.
CBD Dabs – Types of concentrates
There are several types of concentrates but all of them are purified extractions of cannabis resin contained within the trichomes. CBD Dabs differ in that they contain higher levels of CBD than is normally found in high THC concentrates.
Budder has a soft caramel like texture and is quite flexible and easy to manipulate.
Waxes are slightly firmer than butter and may break if handled too rough
Shatter is much harder and quite brittle compared to waxes. they are generally a clear golden yellow to amber color. the darker the shatter the more impurities there are in the material.
Hash oil or phoenix tears are a liquid concentrate and is one of the oldest concentrates in the industry
Hash or hashish is pressed kief or trichomes as they are known scientifically. Hash is one of the oldest concentrates and dates back several centuries where it was made by hand in india as charas.
kief is the loose powder form of trichomes. It can be found at the bottom of any 3 or 4 piece grinder purified by a screen. press this powder and you get hash.
CBD Dabs – How are they made
There are two main methods of creating cannabis concentrates, solvent-based extraction and non-solvent extraction. In solvent-based extraction, chemical solvents such as butane, propane, carbon dioxide (CO2) and alcohol are used to separate resin glands containing the psychoactive compound THC from the cannabis flower. In non-solvent extractions, water, temperatureand pressure are the predominant factors.
Solvent-based extractions utilize chemical solvents to strip cannabis flowers of their highly potent resin glands. Because chemical solvents are often highly flammable, professional extractors use what are called “closed-loop” systems to ensure that there is no airborne chemical exposure during the process, therefore eliminating any risk for fire, over-pressurization or explosion. This is why concentrate production should only be conducted by licensed professionals. It is extremely dangerous and illegal to perform solvent-based extractions at home, so leave the process to the professionals!
CBD Dabs – The Tools
Essentially, dabbing is the flash vaporization of cannabis concentrates once applied to a hot surface and inhaled. These concentrates are a lot more potent than marijuana flowers, so a little bit goes a long way.
- A cannabis extract. Any of the above listed concentrates like budder, wax, or shatter. Do not use alcohol based extracts for dabbing as trace amounts of alcohol may be present and is combustible.
- A water pipe. You can take the glass bowl pieces out and replace them with dabbing attachments to turn your pipe into a dab rig.
- A nail. Find a nail that fits your water pipe’s gauge. Some are made of ceramic and quartz, but titanium is the most commonly used type.
- A dome. This is the glass hood placed around the nail. “Dome-less” nails (see below) don’t need a glass globe, but standard nails need something to trap the vapor before it’s inhaled.
- A torch. Mini-torches used for crème brulee will do the job, but some choose to upgrade to larger propane-fueled torches that heat nails faster. New flame-less methods of dabbing are becoming available, but most people still use the torch method due to the low cost investment.
- A dabber. This is the glass, metal, or ceramic tool used to apply a dab.
What Are Dabbing Tools?
Although dabbing technology is long from being in its infancy, there is still plenty of room for improvement. Nonetheless, there are several dabbing tools available to help you consume your CBD isolate in the most efficient manner possible. What we will say is this: If you are only picking one option, choose a tool capable of being versatile when it comes to handling concentrates of differing consistencies.
The important thing to remember is that you will be vaporizing your concentrates.
- Dabbing Rig: This is a modified water pipe that has a glass joint designed to hold a nail instead of a connector (as you would have on a bubbler or bong). With this tool, you heat up the nail and place the concentrate on it to cause vaporization. There are various sizes available, so decide if you want a mini-rig or a larger one that sits on a coffee table.
- Nail: You can purchase a quartz or titanium nail. Aficionados tend to choose quartz because it provides better flavor. Also, with titanium, there is a danger of oxidation at high temperatures and these nails can degrade when used improperly.
- Carb Cap Dabber: The purpose of this tool is to place the concentrate on the hot nail safely. If you have dry concentrate, choose a wide dabber as it does a better job of scooping. A Carb Cap also enables you to dab at a slightly lower temperature. This is vital because at the reduced temperature, you get more of the terpenes which are lost at higher temperatures.
- Dab Rag/Mat: This handy piece of equipment acts as a stand for the rig. Without it, there’s a good chance that your table will get coated in sticky residue. It is best to purchase an easily washable rag or mat. You can also use the rag to remove the mess made from dabbing.
- Torch: How else are you going to heat up the nail? Remember to purchase a butane refill as your torch will be empty when you purchase it.
- Electronic Nail: This is a must for concentrate lovers as it is an adjustable and constant heat source which means there is no need for a torch. The downside? E-Nails are expensive and can cost up to $300.
What is the Correct Dabbing Technique?
Once all your equipment is in place, turn on the torch and make sure the flame is hitting the nail. Don’t make the mistake of overheating the nail, though – a lot of people prefer to heat it until it turns red hot, but this isn’t necessary. In fact, too much heat can reduce the quality of CBD.
When the nail is hot enough, switch off the torch and place the glass dome over the nail. If you use quartz nails, allow them to cool for 45 seconds; for titanium nails, the waiting period is just 10 seconds.
Use your dabber to grab the correct amount of CBD concentrate and add it directly to the nail inside the dome. Inhale the vapor slowly and rotate the dabber tip on the nail to avoid wasting oil that could be stuck to the dabber. Exhale, enjoy, and repeat until satisfied.
The Importance of Getting the Temperature Right
Although it is not a precise measurement, experts state that if your nail has a red-hot glow, it is probably more than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit! If it has a pale red glow, it is still in or around the 900-degree mark. If you add the CBD concentrate to a nail that is too hot, you will destroy many of the things that make CBD so amazing.
In reality, the optimal temperature for dabbing is between 300 and 400 degrees Fahrenheit, as this is the boiling point range for a lot of terpenes found in marijuana. For example, terpenes such as Linalool and Humulene have boiling points of 388 degrees, while a-Pinene has a boiling point of 311 degrees. (To be fair, this information is not relevant if you use CBD isolate, because isolates don’t have any terpenes).
If you have money to spend, you should invest in a dome-less nail or an e-nail. A dome-less nail is a metal piece that doesn’t require a glass dome to provide you with vapor. Rather, it contains numerous tiny holes that ensure the vapor goes straight through the piece.
While an e-nail is rather expensive, it is worth it if you’re serious about dabbing CBD. It allows you to not need a dome or a torch, which are pieces of equipment considered the most dangerous aspect of dabbing. Best of all, you can control the temperature of an e-nail which means you’re guaranteed to get the best from your CBD concentrate.
Quick Guide – CBD Dabs – How-To Instructions
Once the rig is set up and your dab is prepared on the dabber, you’re ready to get started. We advise you to sit while taking a dab, since the rush of THC can be physically intense.
Step 1: Turn on your torch and aim the flame directly at the nail. Most people will heat the nail until it begins turning red-hot. If you’re using an electronic nail, refer to the section below for more information on heating.
Step 2: Once the nail is hot, turn off your torch and place the glass dome over the nail. It’s recommended to let titanium nails cool for about 10 seconds and quartz nails about 45 seconds so the surface temperature isn’t too hot.
Step 3: Take your dabber, apply the dab directly on the nail inside the dome, and inhale slowly. Rotating the dabber tip on the nail can help you prevent wasting any oil stuck to the dabber.
Step 4: Exhale and enjoy!
Safety notice: nails and glass domes become extremely hot in the dabbing process. Take caution when handling them, and always wait for all pieces to cool down before you even think of touching them.
5 Benefits of Dabbing CBD
Experienced CBD users claim that no other consumption method can compare to dabbing. As long as you purchase premium grade CBD, you will find that the symptoms of conditions (such as nausea, anxiety, and chronic pain) will ease off in record time.
It is also a fact that dabbing pure CBD is a much more pleasant sensation that smoking cannabis, which can be testing on the lungs. Here is a quick look at just some of the benefits of dabbing CBD:
1) Antiemetic – Combats nausea, vomiting and motion sickness. This makes it helpful with the side effects from chemotherapy and opioid (heavy duty pain killers like hydrocodone, morphine, fentanyl and oxycodone these are listed as narcotics painkillers, as well as severe gastroenteritis. Why does this matter? The faster onset of a dab makes this a quick way to get that sick painful feeling to go away, so you can return to normal and functional.
2) Anticonvulsant – Fights against seizures and epilepsy, alone that is very impressive, but it is also being used for its antipsychotic properties. Antipsychotics help those with bipolar, and borderline personality disorder, by acting as a mood stabilizer. Anxiolytic, which means it also combats anxiety and panic, as well as being an antidepressant. Why does this matter? This is just a whole lot of great news for those that suffer from anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks, clinical depression, bipolar depression, as well as those suffering from epilepsy and seizures.
3) Anti inflammatory – Reduces inflammation and swelling giving relief to many arthritis sufferers, as well as helping with chronic pain. Why is this important? In states with medicinal marijuana a significant number of deaths due to opioid overdose have lessened between 16 and 31 percent, as people switch to cannabis for their pain relief.
4) Antioxidant – Oxygen, the stuff we breathe in order to survive, is corrosive to the tissues of our bodies and causes cell degradation. We have all seen what happens to metal left unprotected from oxygen, it rusts. The best part is antioxidants prevent this cell degradation in our bodies by inhibiting oxidation of healthy cells. The release of free radicals can farther damage these cells.
5) Antitumor / Anti cancer – Prevents or combats the growth of cancerous and non cancerous tumors in the body. This is the big one causing so much fuss over marijuana in the U.S.. Why does this matter? In 2016, an estimated 1,685,210 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed and 595,690 people will die from the disease. Check out this article for more information on this.
Cons of Dabbing
Although there is a myriad of fantastic benefits associated with dabbing, there are a few perceived downsides too. There is a suggestion that dabbing is dangerous, but this only relates to the extraction methods that are used to produce the concentrate. It is not a wise move to try and extract CBD from hemp or cannabis because a combination of flammable gases and bad ventilation could result in an explosion. Also, there is no way of knowing how pure your end product is. You can eliminate this danger by purchasing a high-quality CBD isolate from a reputable company such as CBDistillery.
The next danger relates to the process itself. Again, it is a bad idea to create DIY dabbing equipment. A good quality nail and torch combo is essential as it enables you to dab safely without worrying about fires.
We also recommend taking it easy with dabbing if you are inexperienced. Although you won’t overdose on CBD, consuming an excessive amount could result in a very uncomfortable experience.
How Do I Measure the Dosage?
It takes time to get to grips with dosing levels if you’re an inexperienced dabber. For a start, most companies sell their concentrates in 0.5 grams, 1 gram, 3.5 gram and 7-gram sizes. High-quality concentrate is not cheap; you can expect to pay at least $30 per gram (or $25+ if you purchase a larger size).
We recommend searching for a product that clearly illustrates the level of CBD in it. For example, CBDistillery’s CBD slab contains 99.5% CBD, so you know there are 0.995 grams of cannabidiol per gram of product. Things are made a lot easier if you have a kitchen scale because you can accurately measure your dose. Most people begin with 10mg doses, but it can be tricky to measure out such a minute amount the first time out. However, practice makes perfect, and at least you know that the CBD you’re consuming is pure.
Final Thoughts on Dabbing CBD
If you have a medical condition and are fed up with worthless painkillers, save your money and purchase high-quality CBD and dabbing equipment instead. CBD is known to help the symptoms of a litany of medical conditions with no side effects. When you dab CBD, you can enjoy the purest form of this cannabinoid and benefit from rapid relief.
Enjoy the video guide below we found on youtube for those visual learners